Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Golden Potato Casserole

Back in the saddle again and glad to have a couple of deadlines behind me!

However, in front of me are potatoes. Lots and lots of potatoes. They're on sale this month because February is supposed to be the ever-memorable "National Potato Lover Month" and all sorts of potato varieties are on sale. I picked up a bag of Idahoes and thought I'd pull out the recipe archives to see what sounded delicious, different, and befitting these worthy spuds. Lo, and behold, I found a casserole that sounded especially hearty and a great pairing to the meatballs we were having. 

In posts past, we've shared a couple of potato casseroles: Hamburger Potato and Cheesy Potato. But compared to both of those, this one is a little lighter, cheesier, crunchier and just plain good!

Another plus to all this excitement was my 16 year old son, "hovering" high above me (he's 6'1" to my 5'6") and willing to help out with the prep--which I'm all for! I peeled, grated, and chopped and he mixed, seasoned, and poured. What a great kid!

So here it is and it may be your new favorite potato side! Let me know what you think or if you have suggestions for improvement!


Golden Potato Casserole

8 medium potatoes, cooked and cooled
1/4 cup butter
1 can cream of chicken soup (try Grandma's Basic Cream Soup instead of canned)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 pint sour cream
1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cornflakes, crushed with 2 tablespoons melted butter

Peel and grate the cooked/cooled potatoes. Heat soup and butter in large pan. Blend in onions, sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper, and grated potatoes. Put in buttered casserole dish and top with buttered cornflakes. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...